EXT. COFFEE HOUSE - NIGHT
Before she became a time traveller, she was just a small town girl daydreaming of what the future holds her. Until Brian came to her life and distorted her understanding of the future.
There's something about this day which made her go out and treat herself for a cup of hot choco milk. Her order came and gave it a stir. She kept on stirring the hot choco milk ,deliberately increasing the speed each turn and dropped a tiny marshmallow on it.
The marshmallow swirled around the cup following the momentum and direction of the liquid and gradually slowed down. She used to play with her drink this way when she was little.And she can only do that now because the seats around her remain empty. She's been like that for awhile when she heard a stranger's husky voice from the side.
Brian: Hi. Do you have the time and could you tell me what date is it today?
Ruth looked up. Surprised to see this gentleman
Ruth: Oh, you must have slept a thousand year? It's Oct. 15, 2011 and it's half an hour past six.And in case you haven't noticed, it's already night time.
Brian: Oh yeah..time is faster out there.
Ruth: You sure you belong here?
Brian: Would I scare you if I say I don't belong here really?
Ruth: Hahaha! You know I know a very good pychiatrist down the street.You want me to set you an appointment tomorrow?
Brian: If a psychiatric clinic is all it takes to have the pleasure of your company, then we will go to the clinic.
Ruth: Hmm..how do I make sure you are safe to be with?That you're not going to hurt me?
Brian: It's not going to happen. It's not bound to happen that way.I have curved space just to let things be where they should be. And that includes us. This is exactly where we should be.Together.
Ruth: Oh, wait...what are you talking about? We've just met few minutes ago. What do you mean by "us?"
Brian: "Do I hold your interest? Allow me to buy you a dinner.I'm starving. It was quite a trip. Here, hold my car key, my gun,my wallet, my credit cards. What else do you want to hold?"
Ruth: "Hahaha! I'll hold your arm."
INT. STEAK HOUSE - NIGHT
Brian: Why do you keep looking at your watch?
Ruth: So next time you ask me what time is it, I am ready to answer you.
Brian: Don't worry about that. I won't be asking you that anytime soon. But I'll be asking you what do you do most of the times? Are you happy with your life?
Ruth: Are you trying to ask me those questions so you have something to answer your psychiatrist tomorrow when she asks you the same questions? Hahaha! Very clever of you!
Brian:I guess I needed to learn more punch lines.
Ruth:Alright, what do I do most of the times? I just let time pass me by. That's how I would want to put it.
Brian: Maybe you meant, you just let your time passes you by. You speak as if there's a universal clock we all follow to. We are simply passing our universe' time. If you tell me you love me now, I will have to record that. Because while love is an absolute goodness, time is not absolute.You might not remember when and where you said that if we wake up in a different universe one day.
Ruth: So you are saying that there's a nother universe other than our universe?
Brian: Absolutely. It's called parallel universe.
Ruth: Wait, you told me awhile ago," I have curved Space just to let things be where they should be." Have you been to another universe? Is that where you came from?
Brian: Is it really that important where I came from?
Ruth: No, not really. I just asked because you have nice smile and I'm wondering when are you going back.
Brian: I'm not going back without you. I want to return from the past with you and continue the future with you. Don't you recognize me at all?
Ruth: "You seriously have to see the psychiatrist tomorrow, hahaha! "
Brian: "Ok, I don't want to rush things but please answer my question. Are you happy with your life now?"
Ruth: Let me tell you something about happiness, balance is the key to happiness. What is that you are holding ? Is that your phone?
Brian: No, it's my navigator. Here, move closer, I'll show you how it works.
He showed me and scrolled up and down revealing some bizarre graphs on the tablet. There were dots plotted on those graphs similar to Cartesian Coordinates. I stopped on one which has a circle on it. The LCD was blurry. According to him, it caught a lot of dirt on its way here.
Ruth: " I guess this one would explain well about having balance as the key to my happiness. See this image. In the book, The Art of War, it was quoted, " The general is not controlled by heaven above, is not controlled by earth below, is not controlled by humanity in between..." To form a perfect circle as you see on this graph, I don't let anything or anyone influence my own self beyond allotted portions. I am always true to myself. I am the center of my existence. Not too much philosophy, not too much materialism,and just enough people to enjoy this life with.I don't go beyond the dots."
Brian: "Who knows what are beyond the dots? What if going beyond the dots, you find eternity? I would like to be one of those people who brings you joy . I am actually hoping that it could be more than that. Someone who can give meaning to your life."
Ruth: "Who says that life has a meaning? Do you need a meaning in your life? Spare yourself from the trouble, questions like that have tormented great minds in the past until they drove themselves to insanity. Is that why you are here? Because you can't find meaning in your life out there? "
Brian:"Yes, I feel that the other piece of me is missing. I felt it's on the other side of the universe. So, I bended space and time to be able to meet you ."
Ruth: "Hahaha! There you go again. You're not going to say that to the psychiatrist tomorrow, are you? See those waiters waiting for us to leave because this is closing time? Let's get out of here before the blackholes swallow us. "
EXT. ON THE STREET JUST OUTSIDE THE STEAK HOUSE - NIGHT
Ruth: Thanks for the wonderful dinner. I hate to cut this short but I really have to go.
Brian: Uhmm..just a second. Do you have.......
Ruth: Do I have the time?
Brian:No, do you have a name? I didn't get your name. I'm Brian by the way.
Ruth: It's Ruth. Nice to meet you Brian.
Brian: Ruth, yeah. Nice to be able to meet you finally again Ruth. I'll drive you home or do you live nearby? I can also walk you home if you are still unsure of my intention and you don't want to get in my car.
Ruth: Oh no, not that.That would be totally unnecessary. I can manage. I'll meet you here tomorrow for your appointment. 10am on the dot, ok?
Brian: On the dot. Always on the dot. Ok, Ruth.Thanks for the pleasure of your company tonight.I look forward to seeing you again tomorrow.
Ruth: Thanks for the lovely evening Brian. I'll see you tomorrow.
Ruth heard brian shouting from a short distance as she began to walk her way .
Brian: But hey! I don't need a psychiatrist . I need someone!I need you!
Ruth without turning back just waved her hand .......
Ruth: Hahaha! I could be both! But you can't afford me!
She knew he was still watching her as she crossed the street andturned the corner. She felt his stares like laser beams following her direction . Laser beams...how did he bend time and space? She remembers watching a documentary, "If protons can be in two places at once, could we?"
"Damn! That freak must be right. We have more than one universe. And if protons can be in two places at once, perhaps,Brian and I are in two different universe at the same time! He speaks as if he knew me all along. He meets my eyes as if he wants me to understand something . "
Brian seems to be a fine man and she's starting to like him. But she does not like this deja vu feeling she is getting because of this encounter. Something is shaking in her and she has no power to resist it.
There are so many questions lingering her mind now ,tormenting her like a throbbing toothache while the truth is awaiting to be extracted from her decaying beliefs.
Thanks GBE for reminding me that I have a story to continue working on. But not sure when my muse will come back from her time travel :)
Links to the unfinished series:
I'll make the links work some other time but if you copy and paste on your browser, these links should work.
http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544508263 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544558339 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544612806 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544687254 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544845460 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544906826 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544981758 Deja Vu
http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/545009451 Deja Vu
http://theheartshapedmuffin.blogspot.com/2011/12/deja-vu-part-ix.html
http://theheartshapedmuffin.blogspot.com/2012/01/deja-vu-part-x.html
http://theheartshapedmuffin.blogspot.com/2012/01/deja-vu-part-xi-written-for-blogophilia.html
Some were posted on FB, blogspot and MS but basically, those links posted here are public.
Links to the unfinished series:
I'll make the links work some other time but if you copy and paste on your browser, these links should work.
http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544508263 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544558339 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544612806 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544687254 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544845460 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544906826 Deja Vu http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/544981758 Deja Vu
http://www.myspace.com/ruzlyn/blog/545009451 Deja Vu
http://theheartshapedmuffin.blogspot.com/2011/12/deja-vu-part-ix.html
http://theheartshapedmuffin.blogspot.com/2012/01/deja-vu-part-x.html
http://theheartshapedmuffin.blogspot.com/2012/01/deja-vu-part-xi-written-for-blogophilia.html
Some were posted on FB, blogspot and MS but basically, those links posted here are public.





You bring up several interesting concepts. In particular "the navigator". This has all the elements of a classic sci-fi story.
ReplyDeleteMy head hurts now. Thinking about time travel has that effect on me.
If you had followed this story Lee Brooks, I brought up not only interesting concepts but wacky and ridiculous ones that I can't help laughing whenever I read them again. I really enjoyed playing with those prompts.
DeleteThanks for reading. Ginger tea with few drops of squeezed lemon or orange is good for headache :)
This would be cool on film!
ReplyDeleteOne frustration of mine was after I wrote this series, I saw this trailer of the movie which made me ask, "Do they read my blogs?" LOL!
Deletehttp://youtu.be/dkYvYGR7Ys4
But upon inspection,it's actually different. But the promotion of it made me feel that way initially. Thanks for reading Elizabeth!
Fascinating story - not deja vu is it?
ReplyDeleteHahaha Suzy! Maybe it's the drug wearing off :) Glad u enjoyed it!
DeleteDon't know why..want a cup of chocolate now..no marhmellow's in the house..and the video and lyrics..omyGOSH this is how we receive our clients (yup work at a trauma center) do NOT like the deja vu reading this..:0) great write
ReplyDeleteLOL Brenda!I would want to have even a day in trauma center. Maybe I can write numerous interesting stories out of the experience. Ahh,what is a cup of chocolate without marshmallows...:)
DeleteA cup of chocolate and a time traveller, this girl's life rocks! Loved the story
ReplyDeleteWe probably should ask what brand of chocolate drink she drinks :) Thanks for reading Phoeniritu!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis was a really cool story!! Loved it!
ReplyDeleteKathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com
Thanks Kathy! Glad u enjoyed it!
Delete