When I was young, really young like 12, I couldn’t wait to
work and so when I reached 15, I had my first job. But prior to that, when I
was about 11 years old, I already
started selling candies and other sweets to my classmates that were produced
manually by my very own aunt. At a very young age, I learned how to put a
mark-up and compute my commissions so it shouldn’t be a surprised that the
first job I landed on was marketing-related. My aunt’s friend once said, “That
niece of yours will surely be successful someday because she is exposed to
people early. “ So next to candy, I went out to the real world selling
gas-saving device for stove cooking at
home. But I guess, I was inherently ambitious. To the surprise of my
supervisors, I went out for the big restaurants and set an
appointment with the management for me to conduct a demo. I don't recall anyone buying from me because they were convinced that the product was good. I believe to this day, it was my dream and my enthusiasm which persuaded my customers to buy.
So without much success in the city, I thought, maybe the countryside or rural area would be better but since I was only 15, it would be difficult to travel around. That led me back to my Dad’s hometown where I first grew up and stayed until 6 years old. My aunt in the city adopted me and raised me up to give me a better future .I commuted by bus alone from the main city to his place for 5 hours each time and was able to get to know the man who disowned me but we will not go into that. Suffice it to say, he regretted it after seeing how determined I was selling my product and trying to become independent despite the fact that my aunt who adopted me could actually support me financially. But I wanted to work and earn my own money. I thought, if I could make money, I could free myself from the debt of gratitude I owed to my aunt and her spouse. If there’s one question I would want to ask my Mom someday whom I have no idea if she is still alive or not is this , “Why did you give me away?” I asked my Dad once when he was still alive and he thought I was too young to understand and couldn’t give me an answer that would either satisfy me emotionally or intellectually. Lousy, selfish and irresponsible parents. That’s how I will always remember them. Enough said. The lesson I want to impart here is, don’t be scared to raise your children with your own sweat and blood. Life has its own way to find a way out.
So without much success in the city, I thought, maybe the countryside or rural area would be better but since I was only 15, it would be difficult to travel around. That led me back to my Dad’s hometown where I first grew up and stayed until 6 years old. My aunt in the city adopted me and raised me up to give me a better future .I commuted by bus alone from the main city to his place for 5 hours each time and was able to get to know the man who disowned me but we will not go into that. Suffice it to say, he regretted it after seeing how determined I was selling my product and trying to become independent despite the fact that my aunt who adopted me could actually support me financially. But I wanted to work and earn my own money. I thought, if I could make money, I could free myself from the debt of gratitude I owed to my aunt and her spouse. If there’s one question I would want to ask my Mom someday whom I have no idea if she is still alive or not is this , “Why did you give me away?” I asked my Dad once when he was still alive and he thought I was too young to understand and couldn’t give me an answer that would either satisfy me emotionally or intellectually. Lousy, selfish and irresponsible parents. That’s how I will always remember them. Enough said. The lesson I want to impart here is, don’t be scared to raise your children with your own sweat and blood. Life has its own way to find a way out.
Work , as difficult as it may seem , is always good as long
as the real purpose of work is clear to
us. We work to live and not the other way around. As I grew older, after embarking on different fields, I came to a conclusion
that sometimes, it is not how much we make that is important but how we spend
and how we define our wants versus our needs. It’s exhausting or tough to work but
it’s even more tough to want to work and not being able to find work. I would
like to end this with this video. If I am
asked, “So do you want a paycheck or you want to play?” I would
want to work all the way but I wouldn’t work for a pair of moon shoes or something which will not be worth what it will demand from me. It's basically calculating how much time, effort and sacrifice I can give for work without losing my sanity and being able to enjoy what I have worked for in the end. I would
work so that when I am no longer able to
work someday, I would be able to play. I
hope that we will all be productive in 2012 and
still has time and energy left to play and blog . :D
Great post, I want to work too, but doing what I want to do ;-)
ReplyDeleteHi
ReplyDelete"I believe to this day, it was my dream and my enthusiasm which persuaded my customers to buy."
That's the difference between having a job and having a satisfying life. The little man in your cartoon sure discovered this. All work and no play....
Nicely done here.
I've worked most of my life. I'm happy, but this year I work my dreams. Moon shoes are never worth the cost.
ReplyDeleteWell done! Work to live, not the other way. Exactly!
ReplyDeleteIndeed. Happy New Year to you. Thanks for sharing your blogs and your heart with us. ~barb k~
ReplyDeleteI have worked since the tender age of 12. I use to work others, since 1997, I have been slef employed - I neither work to live or live to work,
ReplyDeleteas I was fortunate enough to love what I do for a living :-)
Excellent penmanship here - I like the way you think!
Lady Literati
I'm "retired," but I live to work. I wouldn't be happy without some goal to work toward. First it was freelance magazine writing, then I finished my first novel, and now I'm working on its sequel. Work is fun.
ReplyDeleteI respect you so much and am so proud of you. You are one special person and anyone would be proud to have YOU as their daughter.
ReplyDeleteInteresting video.
ReplyDeleteWhat price our well-being, si?
I started working at 15 because I had to support myself.
My grandmother was stricken ill, my grandfather died & I was left to my own devices. Living with my mother was never an option, I would have preferred living in the gutter. Haha but I was a very picky kid. I preferred not to be abused.
I have to say, though, I was always very fortunate. Being a dancer & a fitness professional was like working in a playground. I still remember it all so fondly, but I retired at the age of 30. Haha
I could picture you selling your gas-saving device as a young girl.
I bet you were darling & YES... the best recipe for a happy life is to find the thing you enjoy doing and figure out a way to get paid for it.
xoxo
Nice post, work is great. And so is play. I get to do both in one place. Inspiring children daily.
ReplyDeleteYou've got a new follower..... Me!
Thank you everyone for stopping by and commenting!
ReplyDeleteYour warm responses touched me deeply and I truly appreciate everything you've left me here.
@Artful Communication - k~ yeah!Those who do what they want to do are indeed lucky enough as work occupies a big part of our lives.
@Larry, eventually, I am now more play than work but I am not telling the guy in the cartoon as he might no longer be motivated to work :D
@Gene Pool Diva, I agree! Unless that pair of moon shoes will take me to the moon literally! So I think I would settle for a rubber shoes with a David Beckham's autograph ,LOL!
@Jo, @Barb @angelaparsonmyers, thank u all for your kind words.:D
@Lady Literati? So glad to see u here! I truly appreciate you following me here:D
@beachlover, you almost made me cry with your comment. Thank you so much.It meant a lot to me. :D One of the sweetest lines I received online :D
@Lori you've given me something to ponder on : What price our well-being. I love that. Whenever I hear about your Mom, I wish I was your Mom. I would love you and protect you from any harm. ((huggss))
@danneromero, I'm happy for u that u can do both :D And oh, thanks for following! That truly made my day seeing another cute photo sticker up there :D
What a lovely post, so sincere and easy to read. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteEven though my day job isn't what I want to I enjoy it. We should work to live and not to live. Your passions are strong. Writing is one of those mysteries that opens doors we never knew existed.
ReplyDelete@Claudia and @Brenda, thanks for your lovely words. Hope to see u again and I'll be swinging by your blogs too really soon! :D
ReplyDeleteYou sound like one very determined person, willing to look after yourself and not rely on others, as so many do today. Good luck to you this year, and I hope you have plenty of fun in amongst all that work :o)
ReplyDeleteI love your raw honesty, and I really love that you've risen above your unfair start and are making your way. I hope the future brings you all sorts of wonderful opportunities--your strength and innate sensibility will take you far.
ReplyDelete@Mojo and @Word Nerd, thank u so much to both of u.I think the positive side of not being raised by my real parents made me a really determined person because I always had this feeling that it's my last shot and next time there won't be anyone who would save me from my plight. The downside of it was, I felt I had skipped a bit of my childhood rushing the future and having that itch in my brain that there's such huge expectations from me to pay back those who raised me up beyond my ability and what I have achieved.We don't get such kind of demand from our real parents.The debt of gratitude can never be repaid.Thank u both for your wonderful wishes!:D
ReplyDelete